Vegan Sweet Potato Cupcakes (source)
- ½ cup almond milk
- ½ cup sweet potato puree
- 2 ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3 ½ tbsp melted coconut oil
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (or all-purpose flour)
- ½ tsp plus 1/8 tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp ginger
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp sugar in the raw
- 1 cup vegan mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a cupcake tin or line with cupcake liners, and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the milk, sweet potato, vanilla, oil, and vinegar. Let sit at least 5 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine remaining ingredients and stir very well. Pour wet into dry, and stir until just evenly mixed. Stir in chocolate chips all but 2 tbsp.
- Pour evenly into cupcake tins. Make sure the batter fills only a little over half of each cupcake tin, as it will rise considerably as it cooks.
- Sprinkle the reserved 2 tbsp chocolate chips equally on top of the cupcakes.
- Bake 19-20 minutes, or until cupcakes have risen and are lightly golden. Let cool 15 minutes before removing from the cupcake tins.
Vegan Buttercream Frosting (source)
- ½ cup organic non-hydrogenated shortening
- ½ cup vegan butter (room temp)
- 3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp almond milk
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- In a mixing bowl, blend together the shortening and the butter until well mixed.
- Add the powdered sugar 1 cup at a time. Once you have added 2 cups of powdered sugar add the milk, salt, and the vanilla extract and blend until smooth.
- Frost the cupcakes as desired and top with a cinnamon teddy graham (optional).
These were so freaking yummy! I didn't feel guilty eating them for breakfast most days as I only frosted half of them. :P I hope you try them out!