Hummus w/ Crushed Red Pepper Flakes (adapted from Alton Brown)
- 2 15oz cans chickpeas, drained (reserve liquid from one can)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 5 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes, plus more for garnish
- 1/4 cup reserved chickpea liquid
- 1/3 cup tahini, stirred well
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Place the chickpeas, garlic, and kosher salt in the bowl of a food processor. Process for 15 to 20 seconds.
- Stop, scrape down the sides of the bowl, and process for another 15 to 20 seconds.
- Add the lemon juice and chickpea liquid. Process for 20 seconds.
- Add the tahini. Process for 20 seconds, then scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- With the processor running, drizzle in the olive oil.
- Add more chickpea liquid until reaches desired consistency.
- Transfer the hummus to a bowl and sprinkle with red pepper flakes.
Tastes best at room temperature. Serve with vegetable or pita chips for dipping.
I make this hummus all the time and my co-workers love it! It's nice and simple to throw together. Another way I like to enjoy it is spread on a slice of toasted bread with another slice spread with pesto. Makes a yummy sandwich!