4.21.2013

The Only Hummus I Ever Make


Hummus w/ Crushed Red Pepper Flakes (adapted from Alton Brown)

Ingredients
  • 2 15oz cans chickpeas, drained (reserve liquid from one can) 
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
  • 5 Tbsp lemon juice 
  • 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes, plus more for garnish
  • 1/4 cup reserved chickpea liquid 
  • 1/3 cup tahini, stirred well
  • 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil

Directions
  1. Place the chickpeas, garlic, and kosher salt in the bowl of a food processor. Process for 15 to 20 seconds. 
  2. Stop, scrape down the sides of the bowl, and process for another 15 to 20 seconds. 
  3. Add the lemon juice and chickpea liquid. Process for 20 seconds. 
  4. Add the tahini. Process for 20 seconds, then scrape down the sides of the bowl. 
  5. With the processor running, drizzle in the olive oil. 
  6. Add more chickpea liquid until reaches desired consistency. 
  7. Transfer the hummus to a bowl  and sprinkle with red pepper flakes. 
 
Tastes best at room temperature. Serve with vegetable or pita chips for dipping.



I make this hummus all the time and my co-workers love it! It's nice and simple to throw together. Another way I like to enjoy it is spread on a slice of toasted bread with another slice spread with pesto. Makes a yummy sandwich!



5 comments:

  1. Wow, this looks so yummy and seems so simple to make. Thanks for sharing your recipe!

    xo

    Ashley

    Southern (California) Belle

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks great! I tried to make hummus once but without tahini, and let's just say it didn`t really work out ;)

    Some Snapshots Blog
    Jess

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh I LOVE hummus!! I've never tried making it before though, I always just buy it but I do love the roasted red pepper flavor so im sure id love this even more! I'll definitely have to try it!
    Jessi
    Haircutandgeneralattitude.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. this looks delicious! i will have to try this out!!

    xx

    ReplyDelete