3.17.2013

Orange Sweet Rolls (& Happy St. Patty's Day!)



Orange Sweet Rolls(source)


Ingredients:
Dough:
500 g (4 cups) flour
70 g (5 Tbsp) sugar
25 g (2 Tbsp) yeast
½ teaspoon of salt
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
160 ml (2/3 cup) warm milk
120 g (8 Tbsp) butter, softened  
        
Orange Butter Filling:
100 g (7 Tbsp) soft butter
120 g (1/2 cup) light brown sugar
4 tablespoons grated orange zest (about 2 oranges)
2 tablespoons orange juice

Topping:
1 egg and 1 tablespoon milk

Orange Glaze:
100 ml (3.3oz) freshly squeezed orange juice
50 g (1/4 cup) sugar
1 Tbsp corn syrup







Preparation*:

  1. Using an electric mixer, mix the flour, sugar, and yeast. Add the salt and stir. Add the eggs and vanilla extract, and milk in a thin stream while kneading until the dough is smooth. If the dough is not uniform and smooth at this point add a tablespoon or two more of milk.
  2. Add cubes of soft butter, a little at a time while kneading on medium speed. Continue to knead the dough well for about 8 minutes; the dough should be smooth and barely sticky.
  3. Transfer the dough to a lightly greased bowl, cover with a towel and let rise until doubled in volume. Meanwhile, prepare the filling by mixing all the ingredients together in a small bowl.
  4. After dough has risen, transfer the dough to a work surface and divide it into 3 equal parts. Roll out each piece of dough into a circle with a diameter of about 30 cm. (Roll each part of dough on a piece of baking paper to keep its shape uniform).
  5. Evenly spread first half of the filling on the surface of first circle. Place another circle of dough on top of filling, stretch the edges of the dough so sit overlapping circle below. Spread the remaining filling, and cover with the last circle of dough. Fasten the layers together and flatten the edges with a knife creating a beautiful round shape. With a sharp knife or pizza cutter cut the circle into 8 equal triangles, like a pizza.
  6. Make a small hole in center of each triangle and widen it with your fingers. Fold the sharp point of the triangle down into the hole, and pull it back gently upwards. Repeat the action on all the triangles, and arrange them back in the form of a circle on a parchment lined baking sheet. To finish design, pinch together the corners on the large end of each triangle. (If the corners do not stick very well, hold in place with a toothpick.) Cover and let rise for 1 hour.

(photo from The Cookie Fairy)
Baking Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350* F.
  2. Beat together egg and milk for topping. Brush the pastry and bake for about 22 minutes until lightly browned. While it is baking, cook all the ingredients for the glaze in a sauce pan over medium heat for several minutes, and then brush the hot pastry several times immediately after removing it from the oven. Top with sliced almonds (optional).
  3. This yeast cake is the most delicious on the day of preparation.



MY NOTES:
*Recipe was translated using Google sidebar translator. Measurements were converted using this conversion calculator.

  • I followed the recipe exactly as I typed it above for the dough
  • I was unable to make the pretty design that The Cookie Fairy photographed as seen above, so my rolls were short and fat instead of triangular and thin.
  • I over estimated how much juice my oranges would give me when juicing them for the Orange Butter Filling, so my filling was soupier. Thus, I skipped the glaze and topping and just poured the excess soupy filling on top of the rolls once I placed them in my tart pan and then baked it. 

Overall, delicious taste but certainly time consuming! Why did I even bother going through the hassle of translating, converting, hand juicing, hand kneading?! Well because I love to bake. It's was quite therapeutic!
~Naomi

14 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, this looks delicious! I'm totally going to have to try it- if my diet goes out the window...I blame you!

    Sarah XxX

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks way too good! Wish I could have some right now...
    -Jessi
    haircutandgeneralattitude.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this sweet recipe
    kisses
    www.welovefur.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh yum!! And how pretty are they?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look so beautiful and delicious!!! Thank you for sharing the recipe - I may try and make them for Easter. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Naomi, this looks delicious! Seeing this recipe is so timely, as I was just arguing with my fiance about how we HAVE TO ADD A TART PAN to our registry!

    Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never heard of this recipe, or something remotely similar, but you have got me salivating. Going to pass this on to my sister, who loves to cook! GREAT idea, thanks for sharing!

    WWW.ROXTHEFOX.COM

    ReplyDelete
  8. ooh my yum!!!!
    make these for me any day!
    madison
    tellingoceans

    ReplyDelete