12.09.2012

Black Bean & Pumpkin Soup

Second recipe in a row?!
Yup, that's right :)
On Friday, I pretty much spent the day in my kitchen preparing meals for the week ahead.
I had never done that before.
I must say, I like sleeping in that extra 15 minutes that it would normally take me to make my lunch, knowing that I already have it ready!


Black Bean Pumpkin Soup (via Smitten Kitchen)

Yield: 9 cups

Ingredients:
Three 15 1/2 ounce cans black beans (about 4 1/2 cups), rinsed and drained
1 cup drained canned tomatoes, chopped
1 1/4 cups chopped onion
4 garlic cloves minced
1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter
4 cups beef broth
a 15-ounce can pumpkin puree (about 1 1/2 cups)
1/2 cup dry Sherry
1/2 pound cooked ham, cut into 1/8-inch dice
3 to 4 tablespoons Sherry vinegar

Directions:

  • In a food processor coarsely puree beans and tomatoes.
  • In a 6-quart heavy kettle cook onion, shallot, garlic, cumin, salt, and pepper in butter over moderate heat, stirring, until onion is softened and beginning to brown. Stir in bean puree. Stir in broth, pumpkin, and Sherry until combined and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, 25 minutes, or until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
  • Just before serving, add ham and vinegar and simmer soup, stirring, until heated through. Season soup with salt and pepper.
Serve soup garnished with sour cream and/or toasted pumpkin seeds.



My husband remarked several times during dinner on Friday that the soup was "Soooooo gooooood!"
I made it once before, vegetarian style with veggie broth and no ham.
This time, I made it as written.
Finger licking good!
Still yummy and scrumptious as lunch at work the next day.
Your co-workers will be all like, "What are you eating?! It smells so good!"
~Naomi

4 comments:

  1. Some soup sounds so good right now!

    www.petiteandhungry.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks very tasty :D

    xx
    http://busyblouse.blogspot.nl/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks yummy!

    www.daisyraeboutique.com
    www.kacieskloset.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete