Made with just Saltine crackers, butter, and brown sugar! Then topped with chocolate chips and crushed nuts of your choice (or none at all)! My husband called this his favorite candy.
Saltine Cracker English Toffee (source)
- 40 salted saltine crackers
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups milk chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped nuts (I used half pistachios, half walnuts)
- Preheat oven to 400* F.
- Line a large jelly roll pan (about 15x10") with parchment paper. Lay the saltine crackers evenly on the pan, fitted tightly together.
- In a saucepan, melt the butter and brown sugar over medium heat. Bring it to a boil and let it boil for three minutes without stirring. After three minutes, pour the hot brown sugar mixture evenly over the saltine crackers.
- Bake for 5-7 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and sprinkle the chocolate chips across the toffee. Let them sit and melt for a couple of minutes and then use a spatula to spread the melted chocolate evenly and gently across the toffee (like frosting).
- Sprinkle chopped nuts on top of the melted chocolate. Let the toffee and chocolate cool completely (I put mine in the fridge). When cold, invert pan over another large jelly roll pan or a clean work area. Gently peel paper off bottom of toffee. It should lift right off.
- Turn back over to face up. Break the toffee into bite-size pieces.
- To store, keep in an air-tight container for 1-2 weeks or in the freezer for a couple of months.
Ours only lasted about a week before we ate it all!