1.26.2013

Cavatappi with Sausage and Spinach


I'm a big lover of spaghetti and meat sauce. It's a comfort food that I could (and probably do) eat at least once a week. I love this recipe, because it is like a jazzed up version! I had never heard of cavatappi before making this recipe, but it wasn't hard to find in the pasta isle at all.


Cavatappi with Sausage and Spinach (source)
Ingredients:
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
  • 1 small onion, peeled and diced
  • 1/2 lb spicy Italian sausage
  • 1/2 lb fresh spinach leaves coarsely chopped
  • 1/2 lb dried cavatappi, cavatelli or gemelli pasta
  • 28 oz can whole tomatoes in puree
  • 1/3 cup half & half (heavy cream works fine too, it's all I had so it's what I used)
  • 1 oz finely grated Romano or Parmesan cheese

Directions:
  1. Heat oil in a 12-inch cast iron skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then cook onion & garlic a couple minutes, stirring well so that garlic doesn’t burn. Add sausage, breaking up with a wooden spoon, until browned, 5 to 7 minutes.
  2. Meanwhile, in a large pot, bring salted cooking water to a boil, then cook pasta uncovered until al dente.
  3. While pasta cooks, add spinach and 1/4 cup water to sausage in skillet and sauté, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes until the spinach is tender and wilting. Drain off a couple tablespoons of tomato purée from the can, then add entire can of tomatoes, breaking up w/ back of spoon so the tomatoes are in large chunky pieces. Simmer for a few minutes. Add a few swirls of cream and stir into sauce. Add pasta to skillet, tossing until well-combined. Season with salt & pepper and top with grated parmesan.

My new favorite comfort food. The recipe stated it served 4, but I got 6 servings out of it. Perfect for a snow day!
~Naomi

15 comments:

  1. yumyum!

    curlypurplepig.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious! Thanks for sharing this with us!



    Yellow Blog [design]
    http://yellowblog.storenvy.com
    - Get 10% OFF by using the code "valentines2013"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks sooo yummy! - starviiiinnng ;-) xxx
    http://fromarmanitozurich.blogspot.ch

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks delicious!
    http://fashiongirl134.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my word that looks beyond delicious! I'm going to have to make this one night for my fella, I think he would love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. looks delicious!

    xx

    www.aroundlucia.com
    www.aroundlucia.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. gorgeous blog, love this post!

    lots of love from the c&p girls,
    casper&pearl blog
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love pasta and could also eat pasta and sauce multi times a week. Thanks for sharing a great looking and sounding recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow looks really yummy, I love pasta!:)
    xx Kate

    The Style Department

    ReplyDelete
  10. perfect

    http://georginagoodman.blogspot.co.uk
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum yum yum. I'm a fan of any pasta dish, so I'll def be trying this. :)

    Flounces and Hubbub

    ReplyDelete
  12. yep i want this, i better go find some good gluten free pasta Xo Megan, www.TfDiaries.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks so delicious, I love meals like this so good! I haven't had pasta in a while and need to change that.

    ReplyDelete