12.15.2012

Chillaxin with Chili


My dad is a chili guy; he's always making up yummy variations of it in the winter.
My husband is also a chili guy, but he doesn't ever make it.
He just loves to eat it.
For a treat, I made this chili in my crock-pot and we ate it as chili cheese dogs for lunch, and in bowls for dinner!
It was a treat for me too, because I just put everything in the pot, turned it on, and forgot about it for a while.
Which was nice, as I was feeling crappy all day.


Savory Crock-Pot Chili (adapted from here)
  • 1 lb. ground beef
  • 2 onions, chopped
  • 4 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 (16 oz.) can diced tomatoes, undrained
  • 8 oz. can tomato sauce
  • 4 oz can tomato paste
  • 1 Tbsp. chili powder
  • 1 tsp. ground cumin
  • 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 (15 oz.) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1/4 cup water
  • red pepper flakes to taste

Directions:

  1. Cook ground beef in a skillet until brown, drain. 
  2. Mix all ingredients in 3-4 quart slow cooker. 
  3. Cover and cook on low heat for about 4 hours until vegetables are tender. 
  4. Turn heat to high for the last hour. 
  5. Prior to serving, uncover and cook for about 15 minutes, until slightly thickened. 


I'm not gonna lie, I do enjoy me some messy chili and cornbread!
Wheat toast is the next best thing to serve with it 
~Naomi

9 comments:

  1. Oh lordy! This looks delicious. Im going to have to try this out! I can no express to you how much i love the crock pot. Super easy to deal with for something thats not to knowledgable in the kitchen. Pinning this for sure!

    Melissa
    http://shakeshakee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yum. Chilli Con Carne is one of my favvvvvourite dishes. This looks like a great recipe, too!

    x Michelle | thefeatherden.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks yummy!
    http://www.asparklyhanger.blogspot.ro/

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG my mouth salivating right now. We Georgians love us some chili and cornbread....definitely making this for dinner soon.
    www.ashleyudoh.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. ok, so i've eaten chili like 4 times this week - i'm addicted right now
    Xo Megan, www.TfDiaries.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nothings better on a chilly night. Looks delicious.
    http://shannonhearts.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds amazing, i'm gonna put it on my recipe-to-do list! Thanks for sharing!

    Love from Holland,

    Rosie x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love chili in the winter! Especially with a movie :)

    ReplyDelete