7.19.2012

Welcome Home Cake

My husband recently had a conference in Orlando and returned a couple days ago. 
I missed him dreadfully!
I wanted to welcome him home to a nice dinner and dessert.
I made burritos for supper and this cake for our treat. 
Unfortunately, he wasn't able to eat anything because he caught a stomach bug from one of his traveling companions!
I just couldn't let it go uneaten!
So I ate a slice, or two...


Chocolate Peanut Butter and Banana Cake

I used this Hungry Girl recipe for the cake.
It's one boxed cake mix, a 6 oz cup of plain greek yogurt, and 1 cup of water.
It was pretty thick to stir, so I think I ended up adding a few Tbsp more water. 
I split the mix in half between two cake pans.
I really had to spread the mix into the pan, it was like the texture of a mousse.
 

I baked it in a 350* oven for about 25 minutes. 
I made sure to rotate the two pans halfway through for even baking.



While the two halves cooled, I got to work on my frostings!
Yes, plural.
In the middle, between the cake layers, I spread this fabulous peanut butter frosting.
I quartered the recipe though as I would only need a little bit for the middle.


The top and sides of the cake I frosted with banana frosting.
That was the hardest part of the cake: finding a recipe!
I didn't want to have to go out to the store for pudding or whipped topping, so I was happy to fall upon one that fit my needs.

Based on this recipe, I made a delicious banana frosting.
I used salted butter instead of Crisco.
I also mashed by bananas (about 1.5 bananas) with a tsp of lemon juice.
3 cups of powdered sugar still left the frosting runny, I had to add another half cup.
I then refrigerated it for about an hour to firm up more.


As you can see, my kitchen was still to warm!
The cakes were completely cooled, the frosting chilled, but it is summer.
I only had to frost the top as the frosting dripped down the sides on its own. 
I threw some chopped peanuts (err... cashews! haha) on top for decoration and then put the whole thing back into my fridge.


Yum! I just love this combo of flavors!
~Naomi


2 comments:

  1. Oh that looks so yummy!
    And quite easy to make.
    Got to try it one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh YUM! This cake looks delicious! Thanks for coming to our Strut Your Stuff Saturday! Hope you'll be back soon! -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete