6.22.2012

Almond Joy Cupcakes

If there is one thing about me you should know, I love cupcakes.
If there are two things you should know, I love contests.
When I saw that The Cupcake Project was hosting a contest with Scoopalicious,
I knew I would be entering!

I decided to make an Almond Joy Cupcake. 
I saw a few recipes online that said they were "Almond Cupcakes" but they were not.
You can not take a simple vanilla cupcake and add almond extract to it and then call it an almond cupcake!
Um no!! While I'm sure the taste was good, I wanted a realllllly good almond cupcake.
I'm kind of a snob like that.

So without further delay, my entry to the contest. 
The gosh-darn-most-truest almond cupcake, with a layer of dark chocolate ganache, topped with a scoop of coconut gelato. It. is. heaven.

Almond Joy Cupcakes
based on this Canadian Living recipe
makes 6

1/4 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 egg 
1/4 tsp almond extract
 1/2 cup all-purpose flour 
1/4 cup almond flour/meal
10 raw almonds, ground to medium coarseness
1/2 tsp baking powder 
1/8 tsp salt 
1/4 cup milk
6 whole raw almonds

Preheat oven to 350°F.
 In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar together until fluffy, then beat in egg and almond extract.
In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, almond flour, ground almonds, baking powder and salt. 
Stir into butter mixture and slowly add milk. Spoon into cupcake cups or greased cupcake pan.
Place a whole almond atop each filled cupcake cup.
Bake in 350°F oven until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes. 
Transfer to rack; let cool. 
Chocolate Ganache
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup dark chocolate mini chips
Place chocolate chips into a small heatproof bowl
Heat cream in a small sauce pan over medium heat until boiling.
Pour hot cream over chocolate chips into bowl.
Let sit for a few minutes so the chocolate melts.
With a fork, stir the cream and chocolate together until smooth and evenly dark.
Let the bowl sit on your counter until cool enough to be spreadable, but not hard.
Spread evenly over the 6 above cupcakes.
 To Assemble
Once the ganache has been spread over the almond cupcakes, use an ice cream scoop to scrape a layer of coconut gelato out of the dish and gently place gelato atop the frosted cupcake.
Garnish with 5 whole almonds each, placed to form a star.


**notes**
  • The whole almond inside the cupcakes sinks down to the middle and makes a nice crunchy surprise. 
  • The ground almond and almond flour make the cupcake nice and moist.
  •  I suggest using Wilbur Chocolate for all your baking needs. It is simply the best, I'm not being paid to say so! The ganache I made twice: first with nestle, and that was so awful I pitched it. It was gritty! The second, I was about to run to the store for some Wilbur when I remembered I still had a small bag of chocolate chips! I was so happy I was close to tears. Chocolate does that to me. Especially good chocolate.
  • Serve the cupcake at room temperature, top with the gelato just before serving. It is so much better than freezing the whole thing and serving a frozen cupcake.
  • Lastly, I made only 6 because I knew I would eat them all! Feel free to make in multiples! 
The orange flecks shown in the picture do not actually exist in the gelato. I checked the ingredients before I purchased it to make sure there was no other fruits in it.


I sincerely hope you try this treat. Even if I do not place in the contest, these cupcakes are still a treat worth savoring and I'm glad to have them in my repertoire.



Have a lovely day! ~Naomi

6 comments:

  1. I'm kind of a snob like that too. :) I love all of the almond that you put in there. I'm sure they are fantastic! Thanks so much for entering and best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, this looks so delicious! Love almonds and chocolate together...the perfect pairing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great..you'll have to make these when you come for a visit next time...ok... :) Love Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the surprise almond! And your presentation is simple but delightful!

    Thanks for entering! Good luck!

    Bethany@Scoopalicious

    ReplyDelete